Thursday, February 12, 2009

The Black Diamon Heavies - Gig Review

10. Februar 09 - Stuttgart Club Shocken

Malacious but delicious - The Black Diamond Heavies

To be clear about what I am writing, I am really not an expert of music regarding technical aspects. The last time I touched my wooden flute is maybe some 12 years ago and did not follow a career, child prodigy that I was (sure!). Moreover, music is unspeakable. Consequently, what I would like to point out is based upon personal, sensual impressions and you can halfway expect me to start lactating.

The Black Diamond Heavies (two men band), that is the way it felt, run the full gamut of heartbreaking and soul shaking experiences. I almost got hypnotized by the dangerously beautifully played drums (Van Campbell) and was totally able to “feel”, I believe, what James Leg (a.k.a. John Wesley Myers) was ecstatically singing, if not fervently howling about. Yes, actually, I suppose, for a couple of seconds I got a grasp of what Kerouac would have called “beatific” stimulation. After only two tracks, I had already fallen for this band and it only took them few more songs to touch the deepest layer of my own soul.

In a nutshell: The Black Diamond Heavies energetically threw, expressed in biblical terms, their pearls into the audience – and I am even though their sound is quite traditional and reminiscent of Canned Heatmore than happy to say : been there - done that.

Annabell de Rocketoire


No comments: